One Stop Guard Shop E. M. Wade Creations

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

canning, canning, and more canning

The past couple days have been busy in the kitchen.  Yesterday hubby & I scored 2 big boxes of tomatoes at the farmer's market (if you're in the Springfield, MO area it's the one in the mall parking lot).

Yesterday was pasta sauce day.  We (and by we, I mostly mean me...J did help some though so I have to give him some credit) canned 9 pints of sauce.  I'll post that recipe later (I'm much to comfy right now to be bothered to go get out the cookbook).

Today was salsa day.  Canned 9.5 pints (8 full pints and then 3 of the little 1/2 pint jars).  The last time I made salsa it was just the easy add the tomatoes to a package of mix kind of deal.  This time I went all out and made it completely from scratch and from the spoonful that I tasted it's yummy!

So on to the salsa recipe:
I found this recipe here:  http://homesteepedhope.com/2007/07/30/homemade-salsa-and-canning-tips/

Mary’s Mild Salsa–makes 10 pints


22 tomatoes (I put in twice as many if they’re on the small-to-medium side)
4 bell peppers, chopped fine
3 onions, chopped fine
1 cup vinegar
3/4-1 cup jalepeno peppers, chopped fine
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup salt
1 cup (12 oz) tomato paste (I omit this)
Cilantro to taste
3 cloves garlic minced

After getting skin off tomatoes (dip in boiling water 20 seconds, then into cold–skin falls off), put 2/3 of them in blender and blend. Chop the rest of them (if you have a good blender you can blend all veggies together, we like it chunky) and put all ingredients into pot, bring to a boil and then simmer for 25 minutes. Use a ladle and funnel to fill hot jars with salsa, leaving 1 inch headspace. Slip a plastic knife or other non-metal straight object along sides of jar to release any bubbles. Wipe jar rim with clean washcloth for a good seal. Apply lid and ring and put jar into canner. It will be fine as you continue filling pints/quarts till canner is full. Water bathe pints for 15 minutes and quarts for 20.


For the most part, I followed the recipe as it was written.  Like the author I omitted the tomato paste, I also used sweet peppers (what I'm assuming were most likely banana peppers, got them at the farmers market as well) instead of the bell peppers and upped the jalepenos slightly.

After all of that I still have more tomatoes left.  I'm not sure what I'm going to do with them, but I'm leaning towards making more pasta sauce.

2 comments:

  1. You might check with Kelly or Robin. They've got a recipe for homemade sauce/ketchup that's really good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. well i waited too long and they got too rotten so jon threw them out in the yard (in the brush pile)...i assume the skunk will eat/ate them.

    i'm going to try and get some more (just not as many) at the farmers market tomorrow and make more salsa with the rest of the peppers.

    ReplyDelete